Job Readiness: Preparation, Employment, and Disclosure (NA1850)
Author(s): Brandy M Fowler
Pre-Approved for: ACM, CA BRN, CCM, CDMS, CLCP, COHN/COHN-S, CRC, CRRN, CVRP, Delaware BON, Florida BON, MSCC, RNs, RRP
Credit Hours: 6
This course is online. All course material is available online and is accessible immediately after purchase from your account homepage.
In this course, we will present an overview of Job Readiness training: how to guide vocational rehabilitation (VR) clients through the preparation and execution of job searching, choosing the right job, and disclosing disability to potential employers. We will discuss how to help a VR client choose the right jobs to apply for based on their skills, strengths, weaknesses, needs, likes and dislikes. We will define the seven basic skill sets, transferrable skills, personal skills, and work-related skills. We will highlight important factors for VR clients to consider before applying for jobs such as: resume preparation, email account, interview attire, securing transportation, and preparing their minds for job interviews. We will also address disclosure of disability to potential employers and current laws regarding disclosure. This course also presents a plan to help VR counselors create lists of potential employers in their geographic area based on the needs of their clientele.
- Explain job readiness and employment skills, how to help clients choose a job, how to prepare to search for jobs, and where to begin their search.
- List and discuss the seven basic skill sets and how to help clients determine what skills they have.
- Compare work-related skills, transferrable skills, and personal skills.
- Discuss the preparation needed to be ready to search for a job.
- Discuss disclosing disability to potential employers.
- Give specific examples explaining how a VR counselor can prepare employment search documents to help VR clients apply for jobs in their geographic area based on client's needs: entry level jobs, government jobs, local job center, industrial jobs, newspaper listings, online job search engines, etc.
- Discuss some of the differences in searching for employment using online job search programs, local employment offices, and professional social media platforms.
- Helping the VR client choose the right job
- Types of Skills
a. The 7 Basic Skill sets
b. Transferrable Skills
c. Work-Related Skills
d. Personal Skills
- Preparing to search for a job
- Disclosing disability to potential employers
- How to prepare job search documents based on geographic area and client's needs
a. Local job center
b. Entry level jobs
c. Newspaper ads
d. Government jobs
e. Industrial jobs
- Using online job search engines
a. Professional and social media job search
b. Differences in local and online job search