Opioid Abuse Part 1: An Overview (NL0116A)
Pre-Approved for: ABVE, ACM, CA BRN, CCM, CDMS, CLCP, CNLCP, COHN/COHN-S, COPS-KT, CRC, CVE, Delaware BON, Florida BON, MCBAP, RNs, RRP
Credit Hours: 10
In this course we discuss opioid addiction and its prevalence in today's society. We present related costs of this epidemic and its related impact on society. We also discuss the impact opioid abuse has on an individual mind and body.
This course is online. All course material is available online and is accessible immediately after purchase from your account homepage.
- Describe Opioid Addiction Disease - its prevalence, related costs, epidemiological impact on society.
- Review the effects of opioid abuse on the brain and body
- Examine how buprenorphine and naloxone/naltrexone affect patterns of medical care/addiction medical services and costs from the health system perspective.
- Discuss the safe and effective use of opioids in the following specialized settings:
(1) hospital/acute care
(2) community care
(3) primary care, and
(4) workers' compensation care.
- STATS, FACTS AND OVERVIEW
1. ASAM - Opioid Addiction Disease - 2016 Facts & Figures
2. Understanding the Epidemic - When the Prescription Becomes the Problem
3. Diagnostic Criteria
THE SCIENCE OF DRUG ABUSE AND ADDICTION
4. Americas Addiction to Opioids: Heroin and Prescription Drug Abuse
OPIOID DEPENDENCE AND ABUSE - TREATMENT STRATEGIES AND RISKS
5. Costs of care for persons with opioid dependence in commercial integrated health
6.The Prescription Opioid Addiction Treatment Study (POATS): Treatment Strategies for Prescription Opioid Dependence
7. Buprenorphine: An Expert's Opinion on Risk vs. Benefit
8. Emergency Department Visits Involving Buprenorphine
9. An Introduction to extended-release injectable Naltrexone for the treatment of people
10. Safe Use of Opioids in hospitals
11. Community Issues, Guidelines and Resources (Opioid Overdose Toolkit)
12. Opioids Wreak Havoc on Workers Compensation Costs
13. Guideline for Prescribing Opioids to Treat Pain in Injured Workers