Pain Management: Assessment, Treatment, and Special Populations (NA1860)
Author(s): Patsy Barnes, RN, BA
Pre-Approved for: ACM, CA BRN, CCAPP, CCM, CDMS, CE Broker Provider, CLCP, CNLCP, COHN/COHN-S, COPS-KT, CRC, CRRN, CVRP, Delaware BON, MCBAP-Related, MSCC, NAADAC, RNs, VRA-Canada
Credit Hours: 2
***Please Note*** Due to recent changes by CCMC regarding how they assign CE hours for self-study coursework,
many courses will renew at reduced credit for CCMs.
CEU hours will remain the same for all non-CCM certificates.
This course is online. All course material is available online and is accessible immediately after purchase from your account homepage. Certificate of Completion is available immediately upon passing the exam.
This course provides a basic education and introduction to pain and pain management. In this course, we will discuss different ways that pain can be managed including non-opioid medications. We will present several complimentary and alternative treatments for chronic pain. We will then focus on pain management options for special populations, specifically veterans, and those at the end of life.
- Explain a common barrier to good pain management
- Describe different types of pain
- List several ways of assessing pain
- Discuss types of pain management including complimentary and alternative medicine (CAM) treatments
- Describe how pain management differs in special populations, specifically veterans and those at the end of life.
- CDC recommendations for treatment of chronic pain
- Types of pain
- Assessment of pain
- Types of pain management both traditional and CAM, including opioids
- The cannabis dilemma
- Pain management in special populations of veterans and end of life