Medical Marijuana: Legal, Clinical, and Ethical Issues (NA1956)
Author(s): Patsy Barnes, RN, BA
Pre-Approved for: ACM, CA BRN, CCAPP, CCM, CDMS, CE Broker Provider, CLCP, COHN/COHN-S, COPS-KT, CRC, CRRN, CVRP, Delaware BON, MCBAP-Specific , NAADAC, RNs, VRA-Canada
Credit Hours: 4
***Please Note*** Due to recent changes by CCMC regarding how they assign CE hours for self-study coursework,
many courses will renew at reduced credit for CCMs.
CEU hours will remain the same for all non-CCM certificates.
This course is online. All course material is available online and is accessible immediately after purchase from your account homepage. Certificate of Completion is available immediately upon passing the exam.
Updated for 2019! This course will discuss medical marijuana in the US. We will review its legality, the research regarding medical use, and recommendations put forth by government research. The history of marijuana in America will be presented. We will then focus on the difficult issues surrounding the entire situation, including legal, clinical, and ethical. The Codes of Conduct will be explored in relationship to these legal and ethical difficulties. We will finish the course by presenting the recommendations for the use of medical marijuana in the treatment of cancer, multiple sclerosis (MS), and epilepsy in the United States.
Ethics Pre-Approved for CCM, CRC, and CDMS
- Explain the difference between medical and recreational marijuana.
- Present the difficulty in research for medical marijuana.
- Compare and contrast the legal issues surrounding medical marijuana.
- List the ethical issues involved in the use or nonuse of medical marijuana and the guidance given by the Codes of Conduct for healthcare professionals.
- Discuss an ethical decision making method regarding several cases involving medical marijuana.
- Explain the most recent research regarding medical marijuana and the recommendations of its use in cancer, multiple sclerosis (MS), and epilepsy in the United States
- Explanation of Medical and Recreational Marijuana
- History of Marijuana in the United States
- Legal Issues
- Clinical Issues
- Ethical Issues and Codes of Conduct
- Case Studies Including the Ethical Process for Decision Making
- Recent Research and Recommendations from Medical Societies Regarding Medical Marijuana