Sleep Disorders (NA1980)
Author(s): Patsy Barnes, RN, BA
Pre-Approved for: ACM, CA BRN, CCM, CDMS, CE Broker Provider, CLCP, CNLCP, COHN/COHN-S, CRC, CRRN, CVRP, Delaware BON, RNs, VRA-Canada
Credit Hours: 6
This course is online. All course material is available online and is accessible immediately after purchase from your account homepage. Certificate of Completion is available immediately upon passing the exam.
The following class explores the science of sleep, the necessity of sleep, and the many problems regarding sleep. Common sleep disorders are presented, as well as sleep disorders in those with chronic conditions and disease processes. We will discuss sleep disorders common amongst veterans. We also include a section on children with sleep disorders and highlight various treatment options. We then discuss ADA law as it relates to certain forms of sleep disorders highlighting workplace accommodations for those employees with diagnosed sleep problems. There are recommendations for sleep hygiene with a link to a number of handout sheets to assist patients in making their sleep better and more restful.
- Explain the physiology of sleep, need for sleep, and mechanisms of sleep
- List common types of sleep disorders
- Describe sleep disorders as they relate to people with various diseases and chronic conditions.
- Detail specific difficulties of veterans with sleep disorders and common treatments
- Identify common sleep disorders impacting children
- Explain CAM treatments relative to sleep disorders
- Describe accommodations that can be made for employees with sleep disorders
- Overview of sleep
- Types of sleep disorders
- Statistics and data
- Sleep apnea
- CAM and sleep disorders
- Veterans and sleep disorders
- Children and sleep disorders
- Sleep disorders found in certain diseases and chronic conditions
- Sleep hygiene
- ADA and workplace accommodations