2020 Cultural Competency (CU2020)
Author(s): Patsy Barnes, RN, BA
Pre-Approved for: ACM, CA BRN, CCAPP, CCM, CDMS, CLCP, CNLCP, COHN/COHN-S, CRC, CRRN, CVRP, Delaware BON, MCBAP-Related, MSCC, NAADAC, RNs, VRA-Canada
Credit Hours: 2
This course is online. All course material is available online and is accessible immediately after purchase from your account homepage. Certificate of Completion is available immediately upon passing the exam.
The following course will outline cultural diversity and competency and how to translate a better understanding of cultural diversity into your daily practice. This course will review cultural respect, cultural competence, health disparities, health-related experience, complementary approaches, patient-centered care, trans-cultural communication, and skilled-centered approaches to care. Included are several cases and also a link to a blueprint for individuals and health and health care organizations to implement culturally and linguistically appropriate services to combat health disparities. There is also a three-question tool for healthcare professionals to use in their daily practice.
Updated for 2020
- Explain what cultural respect and cultural competence is and how it is important to healthcare providers.
- Present the National Standards for Culturally and Linguistically Appropriate Services standards and their use in healthcare.
- Discuss healthcare disparities in the United States and how healthcare providers can improve these.
- Present a process for developing cultural competence
- List some CAM practices specific to cultural competence
- Explain patient centered care process
- Overview of cultural respect and competence
- National Standards for Culturally and Linguistically Appropriate Services in Health and Health Care
- Process for developing cultural competence
- Healthcare disparity
- Complimentary and alternative medicine practices
- Patient centered care model