Dual Relationships: Boundaries (NA1944_O)
Author(s): Patsy Barnes, RN, BA
Pre-Approved for: ACM, CA BRN, CCAPP, CCM, CDMS, CE Broker Provider, CLCP, CNLCP, CRCC, CRRN, CVRP, Delaware BON, FCB, MCBAP-Related, MSCC, NAADAC, RNs, VRA-Canada
Credit Hours: 4
This course is online. All course material is available online and is accessible immediately after purchase from your account homepage. Certificate of Completion is available immediately upon passing the exam.
This course will explore the concept of boundaries in healthcare professions and how these boundaries are violated in the form of dual relationships. We discuss dilemmas presented in the counseling profession regarding boundaries. The circumstances in which dual relationships are almost inevitable will also be explored. The ethical difficulties of dual relationships are presented and an ethical framework is included for students to use in their various professional environments. Cases studies are presented for the students to discuss. The Codes of Conduct are included in relation to boundaries and dual relationships.
*CCM, CRC, CDMS, CLCP, CVRP, MSCC, MCBAP, CCAPP, NAADAC, and RRP ETHICS CREDIT APPROVED. The CCMC Professional Code of Conduct will be referenced in this presentation.
- Explain what a boundary is in both one's personal and professional life.
- List the types of dual relationships and their implications in the healthcare professions.
- Present an ethical framework for managing dual relationships.
- Discuss the inevitability of dual relationships in small and rural communities and ways to manage those unavoidable situations.
- List various methods of managing boundaries.
- Provide the information in the Code of Conduct as it relates to boundaries and dual relationships.
- Boundaries - Personal and Professional
- Dual Relationships - Benefits and Burdens
- Ethical decision making framework for managing dual relationships
- Dual relationships in small communities and rural settings.
- Codes of Conduct - Guidance on boundaries and dual relationships
- Case Studies