2023 Cultural Competency (CU2023)
Author(s): Patsy Barnes, RN, BA
Pre-Approved for: ACM, CA BRN, CCAPP, CCLCP, CCM, CDMS, CE Broker Provider, CLCP, COHN/COHN-S, COPS-KT, CRCC, CRRN, CVE, CVRP, Delaware BON, FCB, MCBAP-Related, MSCC, NAADAC, RNs
Credit Hours: 2
This course is online. All course material is available online and is accessible immediately after purchase from your account homepage. Certificate of Completion is available immediately upon passing the exam.
The following course will outline cultural diversity and competency and how to translate a better understanding of cultural diversity into your daily practice.
This course will review cultural respect, cultural competence, health disparities, health-related experience, complementary approaches, patient-centered care, trans-cultural communication, and skilled-centered approaches to care. Included are several cases and a link to a blueprint for individuals and healthcare organizations to implement culturally and linguistically appropriate services to combat health disparities. There is also a three-question tool for healthcare professionals to use in their daily practice and cultural competency as it relates to children, those with mental health problems, seniors, and veterans.
COVID-19 has illuminated cultural disparity in the fact that it affects those of minority communities at a higher number than other communities. One of the reasons for this is obesity. The class contains the latest CDC information on obesity in minority communities and obesity is one of the greatest risk factors for COVID. The worldwide pandemic has been managed and viewed differently by those of varying cultures and this topic is presented at the end of this class.
- Explain what cultural respect and cultural competence is and how it is important to healthcare providers.
- Present the National Standards for Culturally and Linguistically Appropriate Services standards and their use in healthcare.
- Discuss healthcare disparities in the United States and how healthcare providers can improve these.
- Present a process for developing cultural competence.
- Discuss cultural competency as it relates to children, those with mental health issues, seniors, and veterans.
- List some CAM practices specific to cultural competence.
- Explain the patient-centered care process.
- Discuss the effect obesity has on the predisposition for COVID-19 and its relationship to minority communities.
- Explain how different cultures view the pandemic and its management of it.
- Overview of Cultural Respect and Competence
- National Standards for Culturally and Linguistically Appropriate Services in Health and Health Care
- Process for Developing Cultural Competence
- Healthcare Disparity
- Cultural Competency as it Relates to Children, those with Mental Health Issues, Seniors, and Veterans
- Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM) Practices
- Patient-Centered Care Model
- Case Studies
- Obesity And COVID Related to Cultures
- How Cultures View and Manage the Pandemic Differently