Substance Use Disorder Treatment for People with Co-Occurring Disorders (TIP) - Part 2 (DA2086)
Author(s): Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration
Pre-Approved for: ACM, CA BRN, CCAPP, CE Broker Provider, Delaware BON, MCBAP-Specific , NAADAC, RNs
Credit Hours: 10
This course is online. All course material is available online and is accessible immediately after purchase from your account homepage. Certificate of Completion is available immediately upon passing the exam.
This course is chapters 4 and 5 of Substance Use Disorder Treatment for People With Co-Occurring Disorders, Treatment Improvement Protocol (TIP) Series, No. 42. This treatment protocol is offered by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) and was updated in March 2020.
Addiction counselors generally do not diagnose mental disorders, but to engage in accurate treatment planning and to offer comprehensive, efficacious, and responsive services (or referral for such), clinicians must be able to recognize the disorders most likely to be seen in populations who misuse substances.
This course presents a myriad of co-occurring disorders that occur in the population of people with substance use disorders and offers a brief description of selected mental disorders and their DSM-5 diagnostic criteria, as well as the descriptive and diagnostic features, prevalence statistics, and relationship to SUDs. There are strategies for working with such individuals, basic approaches that can support the therapeutic relationship and make interventions more effective, as well as the competencies needed for those in addiction counseling.****CCAPP STUDENTS - PLEASE READ
- Please note any course over 8 CEUs/Contact Hours/Hours, must be completed over a 72 hour (or more) time period. Your course start date is the date of purchase, and your completion date is when you have passed your test. For example, 'Completed 7/1/2021 - 7/6/2021'
- Describe certain mental disorders and how those affect people with substance use disorder.
- Describe strategies for dealing with those with SUD's and other co-occurring mental disorders.
- Mental and Substance-Related Disorders: Diagnostic and Cross-Cutting Topics
- Strategies for Working with People Who Have Co-Occurring Disorders