Hearing Loss (NA1936)
Author(s): Patsy Barnes, RN, BA
Pre-Approved for: ACM, CA BRN, CCM, CDMS, CE Broker Provider, CLCP, CNLCP, COHN/COHN-S, CRCC, CRRN, CVRP, Delaware BON, VRA-Canada
Credit Hours: 6
CCM Credit Hours: 4
This course is online. All course material is available online and is accessible immediately after purchase from your account homepage. Certificate of Completion is available immediately upon passing the exam.
Hearing loss impacts many different people from children to adults. The causes of hearing loss are equally diverse, including environmental, medication, disease, and genetics. In this course, we will discuss the basics of hearing loss from the people it impacts, the causes, as well different types of hearing loss and diseases that predispose the patients to hearing loss. Methods of communication and devices that can assist those with hearing loss are reviewed. We have also included current research into new devices. We have also included a tool kit on hearing loss that is available to students for further education of clinicians, patients and families, and medical organizations.
- Describe hearing loss and the prevalence in society.
- List causes for hearing loss including diseases that predispose people to hearing loss.
- Explain the types of hearing loss and those diseases which can cause hearing loss.
- Discuss alternative ways of communication with those who suffer from hearing loss, as well as devices that can assist them.
- The different causes of hearing loss
- Types of hearing loss
- Alternative communication processes and assistive devices
- Department of Justice guide for communication for law officers
- A hearing loss toolkit