Dementia: Symptoms, Diagnosis, and Ethical Dilemmas (NA1820)
Author(s): Patsy Barnes, RN, BA
Pre-Approved for: ACM, CA BRN, CCM, CDMS, CE Broker Provider, CNLCP, CRCC, Delaware BON, VRA-Canada
Credit Hours: 4
This course is online. All course material is available online and is accessible immediately after purchase from your account homepage. Certificate of Completion is available immediately upon passing the exam.
This class presents an overview of dementia and then, specific types of dementia including symptoms, testing diagnosis and treatment. The new DSM-5 definition of neuro-cognitive is explained and the difference between dementia and delirium is discussed. End of life is especially difficult when the diagnosis of dementia is present and ethical dilemmas are involved. There are several case studies presented to assist students with those difficult decisions at end of life and the codes of conduct for CDMS, CRC, and CCM are reviewed in relation to those difficult ethical dilemmas. At the end of this class is a section on COVID-19 and its affects on the population of those with dementia and those caring for dementia. Memory Cafes are becoming a popular activity for those working and caring for patients with dementia and there is a toolbox on establishing a memory café that healthcare professionals can use in their practice.
This course is ETHICS PRE-APPROVED for CCM, CRC, CDMS, CVRP (2), MSCC, and CLCP. The CCMC Code of Professional Conduct will be referenced in this presentation.
- Discuss the disease of dementia, types of dementia, diagnosis, and treatment.
- Explain the DSM-5 criteria for neurocognitive disorders.
- Compare and contrast dementia and delirium.
- Present the risks and prevention of dementia.
- Discuss the basic ethical principles at the end of life and what specific dilemmas are present when dementia is the diagnosis.
- State what the code of ethics requires regarding those end-of-life dilemmas.
- Describe the effect of COVID-19 on patients with dementia.
- Explain how a memory cafe works and the tools needed to start one.
- Overview of dementia
- Types of dementia
- Diagnosis and testing for dementia
- DSM-5 criteria for dementia
- Stages of dementia
- Dementia v. delirium
- Myths and prevention of dementia
- Risk factors and treatments
- End of life and dementia with review of ethical codes of conduct for CDMS, CRC and CCM
- COVID-19 effects on patients with dementia
- Memory cafe