2022 Ethics Framework for Case Managers, Rehab Counselors, Disability Managers, and Addiction Professionals (ET2022)
Author(s): Patsy Barnes, RN, BA
Pre-Approved for: ACM, CA BRN, CCAPP, CCM, CDMS, CE Broker Provider, CLCP, CNLCP, COHN/COHN-S, COPS-KT, CRCC, CRRN, Delaware BON, MCBAP-Related, MSCC, NAADAC, RNs
Credit Hours: 2
This course is online. All course material is available online and is accessible immediately after purchase from your account homepage. Certificate of Completion is available immediately upon passing the exam.
Updated for 2022, this course will familiarize the students with basic ethical principles and theories, presenting a six-step guide to ethical decision making for addressing such issues. It will also present the Codes of Conduct for CDMS, CRC, CCM and Addiction Professionals regarding common ethical dilemmas including conflict of interest, dual relationships, patient advocacy and confidentiality for those particular areas of practice. The COVID-19 pandemic has presented a number of ethical questions for healthcare professionals and some of those are discussed also. After a year of pandemic management, the difficulties for medical professionals are explored.
- Describe the four major ethical principles and major ethical theories.
- Present ethical considerations including veracity, fidelity, slippery slope, and double effect.
- Explain the ethical theory of utilitarianism, benefit and burden ratio and paternalism.
- List the six steps in the ethical decision -making model and practice those six steps using the case study provided.
- Contrast moral, ethical, and legal ideas and how they affect practice in healthcare.
- Reference how the particular Ethical Code of Conduct guides the CRC, CDMS, CCM and Addiction Professionals in ethical dilemmas about diversity, conflict of interest, boundary issues and discrimination.
- State the responsibility of the CDMS, CRC, CCM and Addiction Professionals in those various ethical dilemmas.
- Discuss the implications of ethical dilemmas in social media and the dangers of those dilemmas for healthcare professionals.
- Describe the ethical dilemmas COVID-19 has presented.
- Explain the ethical difficulties for medical professionals during a pandemic.
- Ethics Framework
- Moral, ethical and legal differences
- Steps in ethical decision making
- Conflicts of Interest
- Boundary Issues
- Privacy and Confidentiality
- Discrimination and Bias
- Cultural Diversity
- Ethical Behavior in Social Media
- Ethical considerations presented by COVID-19
- Ethical difficulties for healthcare professionals in the COVID pandemic