Complementary Alternative Medicine (CAM) - Mind-Body Practices (NA2236)
Author(s): Patsy Barnes, RN, BA
Pre-Approved for: ACM, CA BRN, CCLCP, CCM, CDMS, CE Broker Provider, CLCP, CNLCP, COHN/COHN-S, CRCC, CRRN, CVRP, Delaware BON, MSCC, RNs
Credit Hours: 7
CCM Credit Hours: 5
CDMS Credit Hours: 5
This course is online. All course material is available online and is accessible immediately after purchase from your account homepage. Certificate of Completion is available immediately upon passing the exam.
There is an increase in awareness and use among our patients relating to complementary and alternative medicine (CAM). As the prevalence of CAM increases, as a healthcare professional, you are asked about the efficacy and safety of these practices. In that environment, having a base-level knowledge of the science of these alternatives to traditional medicine is important.
Complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) is broken down into two main practices: natural products and mind-body. In this course, we will focus on mind-body practices. Current evidence for their use, both scientific and anecdotal, will be provided and discussed. Included are links to resources that will assist in the discussions you have with your patients.
- Explain what CAM mind-body practices include.
- Describe the practices based on the body.
- Discuss what practices include touch-based practices.
- Describe various mindfulness techniques.
- List some cultural/spiritual mind-body practices.
- Name a disease process that mind-body practices can be beneficial for.
- Identify what mind-body practices could be beneficial for veterans with PTSD.
- What is CAM?
- Body-Based Practices
b. Tai chi
- Touch-Based Practices
e. Dry Needling
- Mindfulness Techniques
b. Relaxation Techniques
- Cultural Practices
d. Christian Practices
- Diseases and Conditions Showing Benefit from Mind-Body Practices
- Fact Sheet for Seniors
- Veterans and Mind-Body Practices for PTSD