Dealing with People You Can't Stand (HM3025)
Textbook: Dealing with People You Can't Stand
Author(s): Dr. Rick Brinkman & Dr. Rick Kirschner
Pre-Approved for: ACM, CA BRN, CCAPP, CCM, CDMS, CLCP, COPS-KT, CRC, Delaware BON, Florida BON, MCBAP-Related, NAADAC, RNs, RRP
Credit Hours: 12
This course will direct your attention to 5 key areas for solving your people problems -
- First, it will examine the forces that compel people to be difficult in such a variety of ways.
- Then it will examine essential communication skills that turn conflict into cooperation, emotion into reason and hidden agendas into honest dialogue.
- Next, we'll focus on specific strategies for dealing with the 10 most difficult behaviors of the people you can't stand.
- Increasingly, we define our relationships with others using the phone and e-mail. We'll help you make the most out of these tools to avoid conflict and build cooperation.
- By the time you reach the end of the book, you will probably have recognized yourself in some of the descriptions of problem people. We will then address the subject of what to do when you can't stand yourself.
Table of Contents:
Part 1. Getting to Know the People You Can't Stand
Chapter 1: The 10 Most Unwanted List
Chapter 2: The Lens of Understanding
Chapter 3: The Road to Hell is Paved with Good Intentions
Part 2. Surviving Through Skillful Communication
Chapter 4: From Conflict to Cooperation
Chapter 5. Listen to Understand
Chapter 6. Reach a Deeper Understanding
Chapter 7. Speak to be Understood
Chapter 8. Get What You Project and Expect
Part 3. Bringing Out the Best in People at their Worst
Chapter 9. The Tank
Chapter 10. The Sniper
Chapter 11. The Know-It-All
Chapter 12. The Think-They-Know-It-All
Chapter 13. The Grenade
Chapter 14. The YES Person
Chapter 15. The MAYBE Person
Chapter 16. The Nothing Person
Chapter 17. The NO Person
Chapter 18. The WHINER
Chapter 19. What If People Can't Stand You?
Part 4. Communication in a Digital Age
Chapter 20. Communication and the Challenge of Technology
Chapter 21. The Eight Ounces of Prevention in Phone Communication
Chapter 22. The Eight Ounces of Prevention in E-Mail Communication
Appendix: How to Change Your Attitude
****CCAPP STUDENTS - PLEASE READ
- Please note any course over 10 CEUs/Contact Hours/Hours, must be completed over a 72 hour (or more) time period. Your certificate of completion will reflect the amount of time you took to complete and pass the course. For example, 'Completed 7/1/2018 - 7/6/2018'
- Discuss essential communication skills that turn conflict into cooperation, emotion into reason, and hidden agendas into honest dialogue
- Explain specific strategies for dealing with these 10 most difficult behaviors of the people "you can not stand":
1. The Tank
2. The Sniper
3. The Know It All
4. The Think They Know It All
5. The Grenade
6. The Yes Person
7. The Maybe Person
8. The Nothing Person
9. The No Person
10. The Whiner
- Discuss the Eight Ounces of Prevention that can turn the phone and/or email to your advantage.