Conflict of Interest: Ethical Dilemmas (NA1747)
Author(s): Patsy Barnes, RN, BA
Pre-Approved for: ABVE, ACM, CA BRN, CCAPP, CCM, CDMS, CE Broker Provider, CLCP, CNLCP, COHN/COHN-S, CRC, CRRN, CVRP, Delaware BON, MCBAP-Related, MSCC, NAADAC, RNs, RRP
Credit Hours: 8
This course is online. All course material is available online and is accessible immediately after purchase from your account homepage.
This course will define conflict of interest and present ethical dilemmas inherent when conflicts of interest arise. We will review the basic ethical principles and theories. We will present an ethical decision-making tool to recognize and deal with such dilemmas in your daily practice. Included in this course is a discussion of gifting as a common difficulty in healthcare. Several case studies are presented for students to discuss. The codes of conduct for CRCC, CDMS, CCMC, and Nursing will be addressed throughout the course in the context of conflicts of interest.
- Define conflict of interest.
- Explain the ethical principles and theories involved in conflict of interest and an ethical decision making method to deal with such problems.
- Discuss the particular difficulty of gifting as it relates to conflict of interest.
- List ways of preventing conflict of interests in your daily practice.
- Compare best practices in dealing with conflicts of interest as they arise and ways of preventing such dilemmas.
- Explain the special difficulties involved in conflicts of interest and research
- Compare the conflict of interest recommendations in each of the professional codes of conduct for CRCC, CDMS, and CCMC.
- Introduction to Conflict of Interest
- The Ethical Dilemma of Conflict of Interest
- Relationship to Codes of Conduct for Each Discipline
- Moral Psychology of Conflicts of Interest
- Case Studies - Conflict of Interest
- Gift Giving
- Case Studies - Gift Giving
- Management of Conflicts of Interest
- Toolkit for Best Practices of Conflict of Interest
- Conflicts of Interest in Research