Dementia: Symptoms, Diagnosis, and Ethical Dilemmas (NA1820_O)
Author(s): Patsy Barnes, RN, BA
Pre-Approved for: ACM, CA BRN, CCM, CDMS, CE Broker Provider, CLCP, CNLCP, COHN/COHN-S, CRC, CRRN, CVRP, Delaware BON, RNs, VRA-Canada
Credit Hours: 4
***Please Note*** Due to recent changes by CCMC regarding how they assign CE hours for self-study coursework,
many courses will renew at reduced credit for CCMs.
CEU hours will remain the same for all non-CCM certificates.
CCM Renewal Date for this course is: 11/1/2021
This course is online. All course material is available online and is accessible immediately after purchase from your account homepage. Certificate of Completion is available immediately upon passing the exam.
In this course, we provide an overview of dementia and expand our discussion to include specific types of dementia. We will review the different symptoms, testing, diagnosis, and treatment.
We will then discuss the recent replacement of the term “dementia” with Major Neurocognitive Disorder, which happened in the most recent update of the American Psychiatric Association’s (APA) Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5).
End of life is especially difficult when the diagnosis of dementia is present and ethical dilemmas are involved. There are several case studies presented to assist students with those difficult decisions at end of life and the codes of conduct for CDMS, CRC, and Case Management are reviewed in relation to those difficult ethical dilemmas.
This course is ETHICS PRE-APPROVED for CCM, CRC, CDMS, CLCP, CVRP, RRP
- Discuss the disease of dementia, types of dementia, diagnosis and treatment
- Explain the DSM-5 criteria for neurocognitive disorders
- Compare and contrast dementia and delirium
- Present the risks and prevention of dementia
- Discuss the basic ethical principles at the end of life and what specific dilemmas are present when dementia is the diagnosis.
- State what the code of ethics requires regarding those end of life dilemmas
- Overview of dementia
- Types of dementia
- Diagnosis and testing for dementia
- DSM-5 criteria for dementia
- Stages of dementia
- Dementia v. delirium
- Myths and prevention of dementia
- Risk factors and treatments
- End of life and dementia with review of ethical codes of conduct for CDMS, CRC and CCM