2019 Cultural Competency (CU2019)
Author(s): Patsy Barnes, RN, BA
Pre-Approved for: ACM, CA BRN, CCAPP, CE Broker Provider, Delaware BON, MCBAP-Related, NAADAC, RNs
Credit Hours: 2
This course is online. All course material is available online and is accessible immediately after purchase from your account homepage. Certificate of Completion is available immediately upon passing the exam.
The following course will outline cultural diversity in the workplace and how to translate a better understanding of cultural diversity into the healthcare professions and daily healthcare practice. This course will review cultural respect, cultural competence, health disparities, health-related experience, complementary approaches, patient-centered care, trans-cultural communication, and skilled-centered approaches to care. There are several case studies to allow the student to consider culture when reacting to a situation that could occur in their daily practice. Finally, there is a personal questionnaire for the healthcare provider to provide for culturally competent evaluations.
- Define culture and cultural respect.
- Compare and contrast CAM and traditional medicine.
- List the characteristics of a culturally respectful clinician.
- Recognize differences that affect healthcare disparities.
- Describe how cultural insights impacts patient care.
- Describe how culture impacts approach to healthcare.
- State the steps in the process of cultural competency and practice those steps while reviewing several case studies.
- Present a series of self assessment questions dealing with a healthcare providers cultural biases as the first step in understanding culturally competent evaluations.
- Section 1 - Overview and Introduction
- Section 2 - Cultural Respect and Competence
- Section 3 - Health Disparity
- Section 4 - Understanding Health-Related Experiences
- Section 5 - Cultural Insights
- Section 6 - Patient-Centered Care and Review of Cultural Fundamentals with Several Case Studies.
- Section 7 - Questionnaire for Personal Evaluation of Cultural Awareness