Drug Diversion (NA1942)
Author(s): Patsy Barnes, RN, BA
Pre-Approved for: ACM, CA BRN, CCAPP, CCM, CDMS, CE Broker Provider, CLCP, COHN/COHN-S, CRC, CRRN, CVRP, Delaware BON, MSCC, NAADAC, RNs, VRA-Canada
Credit Hours: 4
This course is online. All course material is available online and is accessible immediately after purchase from your account homepage. Certificate of Completion is available immediately upon passing the exam.
This course focuses on drug diversion and the many areas where it takes place. Included are best practices to address drug diversion in acute care, nursing homes, hospice, home care, and pharmacies. We will discuss the ethical and legal consequences of the drug diversion problem and highlight the role healthcare providers can play in addressing these issues.
Other areas of drug diversion covered in the course include doctor shopping, internet pharmacies, veterinary medicine, and anabolic drug diversion. We will touch on the drugs used to treat opioid use disorder and how they are being diverted.
The cost of drug diversion is high and the arrests are increasing as efforts to curtail this behavior are increased. The real victim in the problem of drug diversion is the patient with true pain.
- Explain drug diversion and the different types of diversion.
- Discuss the steps that can be taken to prevent diversion in acute care, nursing homes, hospices, communities, and pharmacies.
- List the ways drug diversion affects patients.
- Present the many varieties of doctor shopping and PDMPs and their use.
- Describe drug diversion as it relates to veterinary practice, anabolic steroids, and opioid treatment.
- Describe the DEA programs for disposing of drugs safely in order to prevent diversion in long term care facilities and communities at large.
- Overview of drug diversion
- Diversion in acute care
- Doctor shopping and PDMPs for prevention of diversion
- Diversion in hospice, long term care facilities, and family diversion
- Diversion of drugs to treat opioid abuse
- Diversion in veterinary medicine
- Anabolic steroid diversion
- Online pharmacies
- The real victim of drug diversion