Americans with Disabilities Act: Legal Challenges and Their Impact and Influence (NA1714)
Author(s): Patsy Barnes, RN, BA
Pre-Approved for: ABVE, ACM, CA BRN, CCM, CDMS, CE Broker Provider, COHN/COHN-S, CRCC, CVE, Delaware BON, RNs
Credit Hours: 6
CCM Credit Hours: 4
CDMS Credit Hours: 4
This course is online. All course material is available online and is accessible immediately after purchase from your account homepage. Certificate of Completion is available immediately upon passing the exam.
This course covers the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and reviews its history and evolution over time. We then cover legal challenges that have been filed under the ADA and how the rulings have impacted and influenced the law over time. We will then present case studies relevant to the ADA that are still in the legal system, as well as older cases that have been adjudicated along with their final judgments. As the ADA's interpretation and enforcement are constantly being challenged, we will also highlight some of the latest trends seen in suits filed under the ADA.
- Describe the protections under the law and those whom the law protects.
- Define what constitutes "reasonable accommodation".
- Explain what exceptions exist in the ADA law.
- Compare and contrast resolved cases to newer, more complex, cases.
- Recite the two basic principles of the ADA law.
- Section 1: Overview of the Americans with Disabilities Act
- Section 2: Overview of legal challenges to the law
- Section 3: Title I cases
- Section 4: Title II cases
- Section 5: Title III cases