Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM) (NA2130)
Author(s): Patsy Barnes, RN, BA
Pre-Approved for: ACM, CA BRN, CCM, CDMS, CE Broker Provider, CLCP, CNLCP, CRCC, CVRP, Delaware BON, MSCC, RNs
Credit Hours: 4
This course is online. All course material is available online and is accessible immediately after purchase from your account homepage. Certificate of Completion is available immediately upon passing the exam.
Complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) is becoming an increasingly popular practice for individuals. As CAM becomes increasingly common, healthcare professionals have a need to know the choices available to their patients. As awareness increases, the benefits and burdens of CAM must also be known.
This course provides an introduction to what CAM. We will highlight the varying choices available, potential benefits, and potential downsides of CAM. It is important to know who is using CAM and why patients are turning to it. We will also discuss CAM as an industry.
The National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine and The National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health are excellent resources and several guides and reference materials will be provided in this course.
- Explain what CAM (Complementary and Alternative Medicine) is and the current information on who is using CAM.
- Distinguish between the terms complementary, alternative and integrative medicine as it refers to CAM.
- Describe the governmental agencies involved with CAM and the missions of both.
- Discuss the TimetoTalk program and where to find the resource for healthcare providers.
- Distinguish between what are mind-body practices and natural practices.
- Explain the risks and benefits of CAM.
- Present the argument regarding the business/money of CAM and the funding for research difficulty.
- What is CAM and what is included under the name of CAM
- Government agencies involved in CAM
- Complementary practices
- Types of CAM
- Time to Talk guide
- Who is using CAM and why
- The money and business of CAM
- Free references for students regarding CAM