Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM) - Natural Products (NA2230)
Author(s): Patsy Barnes, RN, BA
Pre-Approved for: ACM, CA BRN, CCLCP, CCM, CDMS, CE Broker Provider, CLCP, CNLCP, CRCC, CVRP, Delaware BON, MSCC, RNs
Credit Hours: 6
CCM Credit Hours: 4
CDMS Credit Hours: 4
This course is online. All course material is available online and is accessible immediately after purchase from your account homepage. Certificate of Completion is available immediately upon passing the exam.
As the popularity of complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) grows in the USA, the business opportunity continues to expand. As this trend continues, the growth of natural products as a way to improve and maintain their health expands in lockstep.
With this backdrop, it is imperative that healthcare professionals have knowledge of these practices and products in order to assist their patients. Some practices are becoming mainstream and insurance companies are looking at the cost of products and their practical use even in the hospital setting.
Complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) is often divided into two parts: mind-body practices and natural practices. In this course, we will focus on natural practices including herbal and supplemental products, essential oils, aromatherapy, probiotics, and cannabinoids. There are several reference guides listed in this course for easy access to knowledge of many different herbal and natural products.
- Explain CAM and what natural products are included.
- List popular herbs and their uses.
- Discuss the dietary supplements used by patients and the regulation of those products.
- Discuss essential oils and their uses, as well as aromatherapy and its value to patients.
- Explain what probiotics are and their uses.
- Explain the cannabinoid system and how THC and CBD oil are different.