TIP 52-Clinical Supervision and Professional Development of the Substance Abuse Counselor-Part 1 (DA2230)
Author(s): Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration
Pre-Approved for: ACM, CA BRN, CCAPP, CE Broker Provider, Delaware BON, FCB, MCBAP-Specific , NAADAC, RNs
Credit Hours: 10
This course is online. All course material is available online and is accessible immediately after purchase from your account homepage. Certificate of Completion is available immediately upon passing the exam.
This course examines the role of clinical supervision in detail. The course will provide basic information about clinical supervision in the substance abuse treatment field. Principles, guidelines, cultural factors, ethical and legal issues, and practical techniques will be covered.
This course is Part 1, Chapters 1 & 2 of TIP 52 - Clinical Supervision and Professional Development of the Substance Abuse Counselor created by SAMHSA.
****CCAPP STUDENTS - PLEASE READ
- Please note any course over 8 CEUs/Contact Hours/Hours, must be completed over a 72 hour (or more) time period. Your course start date is the date of purchase, and your completion date is when you have passed your test. For example, 'Completed 7/1/2023 - 7/6/2023'
- Understand central principles of clinical supervision and guidelines for new supervisors, including the functions of a clinical supervisor.
- Identify the developmental levels of counselors and clinical supervisors.
- Identify cultural competence, ethical and legal issues such as direct and vicarious liability, dual relationships and boundary issues, informed consent, confidentiality, and supervisor ethics.
- Understand the various methods commonly used for observing counselors, the methods and techniques of supervision and administrative supervision, and practical issues such as balancing clinical and administrative duties, finding the time to do clinical supervision, documentation, and structuring clinical supervision sessions.
- Chapter 1: Information You Need To Know
Central Principles of Clinical Supervision
Guidelines for New Supervisors
Models of Clinical Supervision
Developmental Stages of Counselors
Developmental Stages of Supervisors
Cultural and Contextual Factors
Ethical and Legal Issues
Methods of Observation
Practical Issues in Clinical Supervision
Methods and Techniques of Clinical Supervision
- Chapter 2: Clinical Scenarios