Nevada State - Cultural Competency (NV2200)
Author(s): Patsy Barnes, RN, BA
Pre-Approved for: CA BRN, CE Broker Provider, Delaware BON, Nevada BON, RNs
Credit Hours: 2
This course is online. All course material is available online and is accessible immediately after purchase from your account homepage. Certificate of Completion is available immediately upon passing the exam.
This course will present cultural diversity and competency and how to translate a better understanding of cultural diversity into your daily practice.
We will review cultural respect, cultural competence, health disparities, health-related experience, complementary approaches, patient-centered care, trans-cultural communication, and skilled-centered approaches to care.
Presented for discussion are several cases and resources including a blueprint to implement culturally and linguistically appropriate services to combat health disparities. A three-question tool for healthcare professionals to use in their daily practice as it relates to children, those with mental health problems, seniors, and veterans.
COVID-19 has illuminated cultural disparity in the fact that it affects minority communities at a higher number than other communities. The worldwide pandemic has been managed and viewed differently by those of varying cultures and this topic is presented at the end of this class.
This course satisfies the Nevada State cultural competency requirement.
- Explain what cultural respect and cultural competence are and how they are important to healthcare providers.
- Present the National Standards for Culturally and Linguistically Appropriate Services standards and their use in healthcare.
- Discuss healthcare disparities in the United States and how healthcare providers can improve these.
- Present a process for developing cultural competence.
- Discuss cultural competency as it relates to children, those with mental health issues, seniors, and veterans.
- List some CAM practices specific to cultural competence.
- Explain patient-centered care process.
- Discuss the effect obesity has on the predisposition for COVID-19 and its relationship to minority communities.
- Explain how different cultures view the pandemic and its management of it.
- Overview of Cultural Respect and Competence
- National Standards for Culturally and Linguistically Appropriate Services in Health and Health Care
- Process for Developing Cultural Competence
- Healthcare Disparity
- Cultural Competency as it Relates to Children, those with Mental Health Issues, Seniors, and Veterans
- Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM) Practices
- Patient-centered Care Model
- Obesity and COVID Related to Cultures
- How Cultures View and Manage the Pandemic Differently