Conflict of Interest: Ethical Dilemmas and Considerations (NA2317)
Author(s): Patsy Barnes, RN, BA
Pre-Approved for: ACM, CA BRN, CCAPP, CCLCP, CCM, CDMS, CE Broker Provider, CLCP, COHN/COHN-S, CRCC, CRRN, CVE, CVRP, Delaware BON, MCBAP-Related, MSCC, NAADAC, RNs, VRA-Canada
Credit Hours: 8
This course is online. All course material is available online and is accessible immediately after purchase from your account homepage. Certificate of Completion is available immediately upon passing the exam.
As ethical dilemmas go, conflict of interest is not a novel problem. It has been around for decades. Despite the establishment of policies and procedures surrounding conflict of interest, it continues to plague the medical community.
This course will start by reviewing basic ethical principles and theories. We will present an ethical framework for addressing ethical dilemmas. We will then explain conflict of interest as it relates to gifts, business, and research.
We will spend some time discussing technology and the new conflict of interest dilemmas that arise as a result - social media has presented a new difficulty with conflict of interest and this will be a focus. The codes of conduct for nurses, CRC, CDMS, CCM, and NAADAC will be cited in multiple sections of this class. Updated for 2023.
- Describe conflict of interest.
- List the basic ethical principles and theories.
- Differentiate between legal, ethical, and moral.
- Explain an ethical framework for decision-making.
- Discuss the moral psychology of conflict of interest.
- Detail some rules regarding gifts and gift giving.
- Describe the codes of conduct regarding gifts, business, and research.
- Explain how social media has presented a new chapter in conflict of interest.
- The Ethics of Conflict of Interest
a. Ethical principles
b. Ethical theories
c. Framework for ethical decision-making
- The Psychology of Conflict of Interest
- Gifts and Gift Giving
- Conflict of Interest and Business
a. Best practices toolkit
- Conflict of Interest and Research
- Social Media and Conflict of Interest
- Current Conflicts of Interest